Monday, December 10, 2012

My Amazon review of Tito Gobbi in Mozart's Don Giovanni

Product Image
~Archipel
4.0 out of 5 stars (1)
4.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Singers, Poor Quality Recording, December 10, 2012
By Julianus Dante (So Cal, USA)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Mozart: Don Giovanni (Audio CD)
I got this CD because Tito Gobbi is my favorite baritone of all time. I was delighted when I found out this recording was available, and by this time I was already familiar enough with Don Giovanni to enjoy the music without trying to follow the story line. There are some marvelously beautiful voices in this recording. Unfortunately, the live recording suffers from the singers appearing to be too far or the orchestra getting muffled with the voices. Also, and to my surprise, I didn't feel Gobbi truly owned his role. I don't know if it's me or if he was uncomfortable and disoriented in the German arena. I want to say the latter was the case. I simply did not get to enjoy his Don Giovanni like I have others. It's a shame. I know he's perfect for it. His Figaro and Scarpia are proof enough of his suave bravado, but here he seems lost at best or drowned out by the orchestra. Un Italiano perduto in Alemania. Still worth having in your collector's box, but not as your first recording of this Mozart masterpiece.



No comments:

Post a Comment