Friday, August 10, 2012

The Illness killing Humanity

The way I see it -- and I see it quite clearly -- humanity is suffering from a fatal two-fold illness. First is our refusal to love. Second is our refusal to accept responsibility for our lives. The lack of love is evident by the abundance of greed, selfishness and aggression bred of fear in the collective human psyche in our times. If there were love, these evils would not be so predominant across the board. What brought to mind the lack of responsibility is interesting.

I make plenty of mistakes in my life but I try at least to be aware of them, so I can identify why I make them and try to amend the personality traits that lead to such harmful decisions. I don't want to continue being unhappy and I understand that it all begins with attitude, even if changing that attitude requires time and effort.

All of us who are unhappy with where we are in our lives refuse to accept that, outside influences aside, our attitudes put us there. And if perhaps we are not responsible for being put there, we are certainly responsible for staying there. This is very difficult for the human ego to accept because it's stubborn and proud.

Some time ago I realized that if I am unhappy with my job and the idiots surrounding me, all I need to do is observe their behavior to understand the same attitude and personality problems that led me to ending up around them. It's a scary and distasteful exercise to undertake but it is accurate. If you honestly and sincerely want your life to change for the better, your best bet is to observe those qualities in others that you find odious and acknowledge that you also have them and must eliminate them, because that is what's holding you back from progress. However, that requires accepting responsibility for your life and we have all been born in the media-driven generations that want to be party animals forever. And so we stay in this mode until we reach a mid-life crisis and see that we've done nothing with our time but sulk and perpetuate a victim mentality, and now our most productive years are past us and we have nothing to share with our children but bitterness and grudges. Sound awful? It sure is.

We must accept responsibility for our lives and stop making excuses for our failures or a life spent refusing to act. It is better to do something than to live in fear of it and do nothing. Success or failure doesn't matter. It's the experience and the growth that comes with it that does. And your attitude determines ultimately the outcome; nothing else. If it didn't kill you, then you can only grow stronger from it. But we are so mentally embarrassed of even trying and possibly failing that we end up doing nothing, sulking and blaming anyone but ourselves.

This is certainly the modern disease, purposely implanted to keep us from making true positive changes in our lives and, by doing so, on the planet Herself. I cannot deny that I suffer from this disease as well. Waking myself up from it and injecting the antidote is an ongoing daily struggle, but one that I must fight. But that's because I genuinely want to be happy and embrace love in my life, and that journey begins by changing the mental attitude. Perhaps not enough people have a will to experience joy, happiness and love.

That's the true crisis right now on this planet and nothing else, not the economy or lack of resources. We refuse to live in harmony with the Creation. If not enough of us turn around, we will make ourselves extinct. Stop worrying about money and pining after things you cannot take with you to the grave. What matters now is the future we build together. What resonates is cherishing the moments we share with one another.

We are the Masters. Our Becoming is in our own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment